Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lesson Six: Finishing the Solea, Continuing with Op.60 No.1

Dale and I had exactly a 30-minute lesson today. Alice, his new student from the summer group class, came in at 7:00.

Take-aways from today's lesson:
  • My execution of the Solea, Grade 1, was just fine. Dale told me to wrap it up. He pointed out the heavier chords at the beginning of measures 26 and 30. He also made me aware of the up-strums in measure 34.
  • For Carcassi's Op.60/No.1, I was to continue to measure 12 and beyond. Apoyando strokes should be light. This will allow a faster tempo.
  • Dale showed how I can mute the base strings with the side and top of my right-hand thumb. We will apply this much later in the piece to make sure that the rests are observed.
  • Take note of the position changes in measures 9 and 11.
  • Work on keeping my fingers close to the fretboard. I pull too far away. Do some "mindless" scales that come naturally so I can focus on bringing my fingers closer.
  • Dale had studied with Rey de la Torre (one of Manuel Barrueco's teachers?). De la Torre's version of Op.60 is what Dale uses.
  • My execution of the 5-finger rasgueo for the second Alegria compas was still off. I asked Dale to send me an MP3 if he can so I can review it.
My guess is that the Solea might be my last flamenco piece for a couple of lessons so we can focus on Carcassi.

Practice Objectives: May 14, Thursday -May 19, Tuesday

Regular
  • Scales: F and recap Am, A Harmonic and A Melodic.
  • Sight reading: Target 2 tunes per day
  • Tremolo exercise
Lesson
  • Carcassi's Opus 60, No.1. Work up to measure 12 or further.
  • Solea, Grade 1: Finish.
  • Alegria exercise 2. Focus on rasgueo separation and evenness.
Repertoire
  • Guardame Las Vacas
  • Sevillana
  • Alegrias en Mi