Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lesson Seven: Continuing Op.60/No.1 and Tangos

Alice moved to the 5:30pm slot so I was again Dale's last student.

Take-aways from today's lesson:
  • The Solea, Grade 1, was fine and Dale suggested that I learn to embellish the compas in measures 25-27. I would use two 5-stroke rasgueos and one up-down stroke for measures 25-26. Measure 27 would have one 5-stroke rasgueo and two up-down strokes. The key is to not have a pause between the rasgueos in measures 25-26.
  • Grade 1 flamenco studies will continue with Tangos. Dale told me to take it as far as I can on the first page and see if I can understand the compas. He sent me an MP3 this evening to help me gest started. Golpe must be performed with the 3rd finger and will use both flesh and nail.
  • Dale was good at estimating how far I would get with Carcassi's Op.60/No.1. I really only made it to the start of measure 11. He said I should see if I can take it all the way to measure 20 for this week.
  • No issues with the fingerings and execution of measures 1-11.
  • Will press Dale to allow me to work on Fandangos de Alosno, Grade 1, after the Tangos. There are only two Fandangos in the first Juan Martin book and I want to learn both.

Practice Objectives: May 21, Thursday -May 26, Tuesday

Regular
  • Sight reading: Target 2 tunes per day
  • Tremolo exercise
Lesson
  • Carcassi's Opus 60, No.1. Measures 11-20. Polish 1-10.
  • Tangos, Grade 1: Begin page 1.
  • Solea compas embelishment exercise
Repertoire: Problems & Transitions
  • Guardame Las Vacas
  • Sevillana
  • Alegrias en Mi
  • Ashokan Farewell
Lunchtime casual practice
  • Silent Night