Thursday, August 6, 2009

Something you should know about Yamaha Warranty Support

I learned something today about Yamaha's Warranty Support for guitars. Unlike some other manufacturers like Godin, Yamaha requires that an instrument be sent back to the original dealer for warranty assessment, repair and replacement.

If you buy your instruments from a local shop like I typically do, that's not a problem. If you buy them from an online dealer, then you would have to ship it back to that dealer.

When I had a problem with my LaPatrie (which was purchased out of state), Godin told me to take it to the nearest dealer. That was a 15-minute drive.

Of course, Yamaha offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty with their guitars. Most other manufacturers like Godin offers a 1-2 year Limited Warranty with theirs. But the requirement that you work with the original dealership that sold you the instrument can make it more difficult and costly to get support.

It would be in the interest of any savvy consumer to examine the details and requirements of manufacturer's or luthier's warranties before buying an instrument.