Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Polish and Fundamentals

Being unable to continue lessons with Dale, I've decided to focus on completing unfinished repertoire and on improving my sight reading.

Dale moved me along rather briskly in our lessons and I would move on to a new piece when I got the "gist" of the old one. Polishing the old piece was for me to do in my spare time but I really had little of that. If there's a silver lining to this situation, it's that I can now bring these old pieces up to performance grade.

As of today, I have nine pieces that need polishing and eight pieces that are unfinished. The pieces marked in red italics are ones that I would have difficulties if I tried to work on them on on my own. Consequently, I would need to shelve them. The others I can handle. There's a lot of stuff to take care of.

To Polish
  • Classical: Dowland: Parlement, The
  • Classical: Narvaez: Guardame Las Vacas (Short Variation)
  • Fingerstyle: Hanson: Canyon Cannon
  • Flamenco: Allegrias en Mi: Grade 0 (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Flamenco: Primera Soleares (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Flamenco: Sevillana: Grade 0 (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Flamenco: Solea: Grade 1 (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Flamenco: Tangos: Grade 1 (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Flamenco: Verdiales: Grade 0 (Arr: Juan Martin)
To Finish and Polish
  • Bossa Nova: Black Orpheus
  • Celtic: Skye Boat Song, The (Arr: Pat Kirtley)
  • Classical: Albeniz: Asturias
  • Classical: Carcassi: Opus 60, No.1
  • Fingerstyle: I Saw Three Ships/Good Christian Men Rejoice (Arr: Duck Baker)
  • Fingerstyle: Silent Night (Arr: Mark Hanson)
  • Flamenco: Fandango de Alosno: Grade 1 (Arr: Juan Martin)
  • Ki Ho'Alu: Kotani: Maunaloa
If I finish the fifteen pieces that I can handle, that will bring my student repertoire up to twenty-five.

I think I have a lesson plan together in my mind but I'll blog about that on another day. It's getting late and I'll need to turn in soon.