Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lesson Four: Continuing the Alegrias

Today's lesson went well and I think Dale and I are getting more in synch.

We focused more on the alegrias palo and its compas. Dale had me clap the palmas to his playing so I could understand and internalize the emphasis on beats 3, 6, 8 and 10. He suggested that I not try to learn from flamenco cante because the singers will sometimes do something that is slightly out of compas. It's better to just learn from good flamenco guitar performances (even ones with baile) like in the video below.



Key assignments and take-aways from today's lesson were:
  • Continue with the first alegria exercise and practice it with a simplified and light rasgueo to further internalize the compas. Listen to any alegria MP3s that I might have and pick-out the compas.
  • Begin a second alegria exercise using a five-stroke rasgueo. Focus on technique first with this one and not on playing in compas.
  • Use the simplified B7 chord for my exercises.
  • Use my pivot finger when switching fro E to B7. Don't lift.
  • It's okay for me to have my fingers a little further away from the fret if it minimizes overall hand movement. I have slim fingers and should use them to my advantage.
  • For Alegrias en Mi, keep all of my segments in the same tempo and work on the transitions. Finish the piece.
  • At leisure, continue exploring the first five measures of Sor's Opus 6, No.8.