Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Benedict Sight-Reading Boot Camp: Level II: p.15-17

More busy days at work. Resuming on Friday the 19th.

March 19th, Friday
Evening

  • Ex35: Measure 6 took a while for me go smooth out. Spent more time on this exercise.
  • Ex36: Nothing difficult.
  • Break to clean-up the humidifier and get it ready for Spring.
  • Ex37: Timing must be the lesson of this exercise.
  • Ex38: This should be easy but am tripping in measures 6 and 7.
  • Blog break. Can barely hear myself with the humidifier on high.
  • Whoops. Everone's going to bed early?

March 20th, Saturday
Morning

  • Ex38: Easier today? Brain must have figured it out after a night of sleep.
  • Ex39: Just a scale but I can still play it musically.
  • Time to hit the gym.
Afternoon

  • Ex40: Bass melody with treble drone. Not difficult but am trying to make something of it.
  • Ex41: Not sure what I'm supposed to get from this. Timing again?
Late Evening
  • Ex42: An exercise in dynamics: crescendo , decrescendo, mezzo forte and decrescendo with ritardando.
  • Wondering if I'll have time to finish my notes on the guitar festival tomorrow. Sheesh. There's not enough time even on a weekend.
March 21st, Sunday
No practice as I had to assist a family member. I did drop by an enroute Guitar Center to play another Cordoba C7 and a Cordoba 45R. Noted that the C7 was a brighter instrument and the the 45R's neck felt boxy to me. They were two different flavours of guitar. Am not sure which one I'd choose if they were priced the same.

I also played a banjitar (i.e. a six-string banjo tuned like a guitar). It made me realize that I much strongly prefer playing guitar.


March 22nd, Monday
Intense work and workout day.

March 23th, Tuesday
Evening

  • Ex43: Assumed that this piece was meant to be played in "Sor" fashion with my thumb playing the lower part even into the trebles. Hope I got that right.
  • Ex44: Simple but I guess it's another lesson in timing.
  • Hey! I'm done with Level II!