March 10th, Wednesday
Late morning
- Have a break. Enough time to practice an exercise I think.
- Ex25: Getting used to recognizing the bass notes. Playing slowly. Benedict randomly sprinkles his book with little bits of advice like "Aim for a performance without mistakes. Play slowly." Reminds me somewhat of a nagging perfectionist teacher. That was probably his objective.
- First 15 minutes.
- Ex25: Bass notes still not as natural to me as the treble notes. Focusing on reading each note rather than allowing the measures to be committed to memory.
- Ex26: Mostly treble notes and it comes to me easily. Only challenge is the fingering and remembering to move my ring finger lower when it descends into the third fret.
- Break. Will do another 15 minutes.
- Ex26: Smoothed this out.
- Ex27: Realized that I had read this piece incorrectly when I first played it. Sounds much better now.
Long workday. No practice.
March 12th, Friday
Another long workday followed by a cleaning night. Wife off to Boston. No practice.
March 13th & 14th, Saturday and Sunday
Attended the South Bay Guitar Festival. Cooking, housekeeping and chauffeur tasks. No practice. My next post will have notes from the workshops that I attended.