Regretfully, this rather ornate pair with faux ivory buttons had issues. The gears for the 1st, 3rd and 4th string were a bit stiff and difficult to turn. At first, I thought I could accept those problems.
After I had strung the guitar up with Savarez 540J, I heard a rattle in the machines when I plucked either the 1st or 3rd strings. The rattle would go away if I tightened the button screws on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, but that caused the gears to become even more stiff.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed with these tuning machines. I disassembled them for spare parts and put in an order for a plain set of Rubner tuners. I've been quite happy with the Rubners on my Kenny Hill Estudio 45s.
I managed to find a little time to carve a bone saddle for the LaPatrie. I had to shape it from a blank because the original saddle was longer and thicker than typical and it had a more pronounced curvature. I'll carve in the 3rd string compensation on Saturday.
Focusing on Just Three Pieces
I've just been focusing on three pieces since my last post; not that I've been well enough to practice much. I'm still trying to clean-up some troublesome sections and build my speed. I'm not satisfied this time with just a slow and smooth cadence. On top of that, I want to be able to perform my Christmas piece if an occasion calls for it.
- Minuet in E (by Falckenhagen)
- The Parlement (by Dowland)
- I Saw Three Ships (Arranged by Duck Baker)