Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow progress is about to get slower

The progress of my self-directed studies is getting slower thanks to the advice I heard Scott Tennant giving to his masterclass students. All my pieces are going to be re-evaluated for possible improvements in technical performance and interpretation.

Progress Report
  • Of segment "C" in Jesu (24 measures), I've smoothed 6 but am now applying Scott Tennant's masterclass advice and am slowly analyzing my performance and interpretation for the entire piece.
  • Of Music for Dreaming, I've learned 21 out of 51 measures (41%) but I'm getting an annoying thumb-buzz when playing the alternating basses. I will be slowing down to examine and fix this.
  • Complete Exercise 43 of sight reading (4 for this week). My steel-string chord progressions have gotten smoother but I cannot yet get them up to temp.
  • The Skye Boat Song is being polished. Focusing on the "B" segments which are my most challenging ones.
  • Alegrias en Mi, Maunaloa and Minuet in E. are all now being re-examined for smoothness and interpretation. I think only the second piece will be ready if I choose to perform at the guitar society.