Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lessons Eleven and Twelve: Asturias

A difficult quarter-end close at my company and the passing of my brother-in-law made for a very difficult period in which to practice and study. Dale understood and we shifted our lesson plan. We would instead just tackle one piece in tablature, Asturias, and focus on technique.

Take-aways from the last two lessons:
  • Measures 1-16 use alternating RH fingers. I prefer m-i.
  • The triplets in measures 17-24 should be performed with a sequential plant of p, i and m. This will facilitate speed. The i plays the 2nd string and the m plays the 1st.
  • Measure 25 begins a tremolo-like stroke of m-i.
  • The thumb strum which begins in measure 21 is a rest stroke. The thumb will rest on the 4th string when done.
  • Focus on developing a symmetrical curvature in my i and m fingers on my RH. Currently, my i is straighter than my m.
  • Difficult as it may be this early, I must work to align my LH knuckles with the edge of the fretboard. It is very difficult as my hand is not yet accustomed to the stretches needed.
  • My RH has a tendency to "drop". That is, I rotate it slightly as if I want to face the palm upwards. I need to be conscious of this.

Practice Objectives: July 23, Thursday - July 28, Tuesday

Lessons
  • Asturias: As far beyond measure 25 as I can go.
Exercises
  • Sight reading: Target 25 minutes per day (10 and 15 minute blocks)
  • Tremolo exercise
Repertoire
  • Maunaloa (a Hawaiian slack-key piece by Ozzie Kotani)
  • Alegrias en Mi
  • I Saw Three Ships/Good Men Rejoice